Teck Genius: 5 Benefits of Web Filtering for your Business
Web filtering has become a de facto standard as part of a Cybersecurity strategy and cyber threat protection capability. It should form part of your overall toolset and capability which makes up your cybersecurity posture.
With the majority of cyber threats originating from the Internet, it is imperative that companies monitor, manage and control their Internet browsing activity. Doing so reduces the risk of unintended downloads and ransomware activation. With threats always changing, hackers are now relying on duping users to click on links to obtain their credential. Having a web filtering system in place would protect by blocking sites that are of a suspect nature.
With unrestricted Internet access comes a higher risk payload and this opens up your business to cyber threats. However, what is web filtering and what benefit does it bring to your business?
The Five Benefits of Web Filtering for your Business
1. Network Security: Probably one of the most important components of your overall cyber threat protection solution, your network needs to be able to protect you. To do this you need the right cyber solutions in place. Your network security needs firewalls, content filtering, web filtering, intrusion detection/intrusion prevention, monitoring, alerting and logging. If that is all wrapped up in a behavioural based solution that can act as a continuous threat detection platform then you are in an extremely good place. Web Filtering will provide protection on any, specific or all traffic that leaves your network. Majority of first phase attacks stem from the Internet and rely on a person clicking on a link OR logging into a fake page with their credentials. Thereafter, depending on the payload, the wider attack begins. A correctly installed and configured web filter will manage, monitor and alert on all traffic, and where needed, will stop access.
2. Faster Browsing: With the right controlled web filter you introduce the opportunity of having more bandwidth availability as users can only access permissible sites. We live in an era where social media and media browsing are at an all-time high and this activity consumes bandwidth. But limited access to sites that are required for your business, you automatically introduce more bandwidth availability.
3. Blocking Ransomware and Phishing Attacks: A hacker can only be successful if they can a) obtain your credentials or b) download malicious code/software to execute on your device. Both of those activities rely on getting to a specific website on the Internet. A good web filtering solution will stop both of these from happening. The web filter will be able to detect and stop access to fake sites which encourage you to enter your credentials. In addition, the web filter will also stop any command+control actions from occurring; which are essentially servers that the ransomware must connect to receive their instructions.
4. Controlling Company Liability: One of the unconscious benefits of a web filter is being able to monitor and control the type of data the can be downloaded. The more advanced web filters can and will profile and tag all downloads and alert if the data is controlled or copyrighted. In an age where information is controlled and copyrighted; you must monitor what data is being sent and received.
5. Monitoring: Another overlooked area within companies is monitoring activity. Whilst no company wants to be “big brother”’ what it does need to do is justify and prove access and activity should the need arise. A web filter will do just that and is highly configurable to ensure privacy concerns are met.
Web and content filtering forms part of an overall cyber threat and prevention strategy and does a compelling job in protecting you from security breaches. Teck Genius work with all of the leading edge vendors when it comes to web and content filtering. Our experience in this area is second to none and we can help you further solidify your cyber threat protection capability. If you need any more information then please do contact us here