How Often Should You Perform Penetration Testing for your Business?
With the rise of cyberattacks only increasing and new cyber threats discovered hourly, businesses are looking to see how they can be protected.
Penetration testing (pen testing) is one such testing practice that all businesses should do regularly. A few years ago, it was common for companies to only perform this once a year to almost tick a cybersecurity check box. But this will no longer suffice.
Pen testing and vulnerability scanning must be performed on a regular and planned basis. New vulnerabilities are always being discovered, so you must have a process in place that conducts testing against your infrastructure to identify if you are affected.
Why have a Pen Test?
Penetration testing helps you to understand what the vulnerability status is of your IT infrastructure and application estate. It will allow you to see your vulnerabilities’ scale and depth and then prioritise their fixes based on risk. Limiting or reducing your attack vector means that you are at lesser risk from cyber threats.
The Value of a Pen Test?
How important is your business? How critical is your data? What would happen if your company was hacked and they compromised your data?
These are questions you should answer to then determine the value of what a pen test brings.
Many businesses only get serious once they have been breached and spend large amounts of money trying and addressing the issue.
Do not be one of these companies. Align your pen testing approach with your overall Cybersecurity strategy.
How much does Penetration Testing Cost?
The cost of regular pen testing is dependent on the size and scale of your IT infrastructure and how the testing is performed.
Many MSSP’s offer a managed security service that can perform regular and automated vulnerability testing, which they then report on and help to address.
Top 5 advantages of Penetrating Testing
1. Routine pen-testing identifies attack vectors and vulnerabilities: this allows you to quantify and qualify the cyber risk to your business
2. Routine pen-testing allows you to prioritise based on risk: Having a report that identifies risks and issues can then allow you to prioritise addressing the problems based on risk
3. Routine pen-testing allows you to identify unknown vulnerabilities: Zero-day vulnerabilities are becoming all too common, and whilst fixes are released within hours, understanding if you are impacted, is critical.
4. Regular pen-testing enables you to improve security controls: Your security processes and controls should constantly be reviewed and improved, and by identifying issues you can enhance your existing controls to mitigate them.
5. Regular pen-testing allows you to strengthen your incident response: Being able to trend changes in the cyber threat landscape means that you can refine your incident response plans.
We hope this blog post has helped you understand the importance of pen testing and how a regular vulnerability scanning process can benefit your business.
If you require IT support or want to look at IT Managed Services, we would be more than happy to have a no-obligation chat about how we can help.
If you like the sound of the ‘hands-off’ experience and having your IT and Cybersecurity taken care of by highly trained professionals, we would love to hear from you. Call our friendly team of experts on 0345 314 2001 for a relaxed chat about how we can make all this happen for you.
Alternatively, feel free to email us from our contact page here.
Our team is ready and waiting to help in any way they can.