The Seven Benefits of Cloud Email Security for your Business
Email has become the most critical form of communication that exists across the globe today. It is an essential tool for people across the world to communicate and do business. It has evolved over the past few decades, as has the technology that is providing it.
Office 365 is, by far, the most popular email service in the world today. Businesses rely on Office 365 to collaborate with people across the globe. It has over 267 million users and is growing at a rate of 3.8 million users per month. Its user-based subscription model has become the defacto standard set of tools for business of all sizes. Its adoption has become far more manageable as you no longer have to worry about hosting and operating servers and other hardware. The extra add-ons such as SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams make Office 365 one of the most powerful tools a business can use.
With such growth comes its challenges. In technology, the bigger you are, the more of a target you become, and email + office 365 are no exceptions. Cloud email security is big business and justifiably so. Hackers are opportunists and are always looking for vulnerabilities, and so Office 365 is often targetted. The cybersecurity industry has been playing catch up for a while, but the last five years has seen security evolve.
Why are users targeted? Users get targeted as they are known to be the weakest links. Duping a user to click on a link or download a file is deemed a more straightforward exploit. Phishing attempts are common ways that hackers gain access to systems and exploit vulnerabilities. So what do you do?
How can you protect your users and your Office 365 security? Fortunately, Office 365 and other vendors have cloud email security solutions to address the issue. For example, URL redirection, anti-virus, anti-malware, source validation, web filtering, to name a few, are a few capabilities that are available via security solutions.
So should you implement these cloud security solutions, and if so , what are their benefits? Let’s take a look at the key ones that spring to mind.
The Seven Benefits of Cloud Email Security in 2021
1. Advanced email security protection: Many email security providers have solutions to protect your data. Size and scale will define the number of solutions you may need and, ultimately, the cost.
2. Faster to implement: Email security solutions are generally cloud-based and provided as a service. This means the service architecture is standardised, and security, configuration and functionalities are all tested to a high degree. Elements such as availability, performance and disaster recovery are all factored in by design, and so the user has to pay a standard fee for it all.
3. Time-saving: Adopting a cloud-based solution for email security can save time, effort and money as you no longer have to design, operate and support the system. This allows employees to spend time on things that are higher priority.
4. Lower Cost: Cloud-based security solutions offered by managed IT support companies are often “pay as you use”. You pay for what you use, and the cost of having the system is lower then if you had to run the service yourself.
5. Scalability: The security platforms will scale depending on the service’s demand. Cloud providers will design the platform for resiliency, availability and recovery.
6. Compliance: The majority of cloud-based security systems have monitoring and alerting in place. So the likes of GDPR, ISO, NIST are likely to be inherent in the service.
7. Email traffic flow: Email security providers will want to have all your inbound and outbound SMTP traffic to go via them. Doing so will make their cloud security service your first line of defence.
The above lists several benefits of email security, which we hope has helped. Teck Genius has extensive messaging security experience and is vendor agnostic. We work by understanding your requirements and then recommend a suitable service. For more details or to talk to us, contact us here.